So I won't be doing that anytime soon, but not for the reason that you'd think. The MIL and family in general was fine, terrific in some places and predictably horrible in others.
- Baby E did great with the family. She didn't mind even the hour or two she was being passed like a party favor between relatives at the table.
- She slept great (for the first week) in our travel crib.
- She adjusted to a hybrid time zone after a night or two which was still too early for us, but bearable, sleep-wise.
- She was awesome with the Mr. taking care of her full-time for the three days a week.
- Mexican food. Every day.
- Our family wasn't very helpful. We might as well have been on our own in a place with strangers.
- The night the MIL insisted we stay over, Christmas Eve, was a sleep disaster for E that sent her schedule off the rails. I still fume over having to be there for Christmas morning when grandma rolls out of bed at nearly 10.
- We experienced our first screaming every two hours baby all night long for our last three nights in California.
- The plan to celebrate my 40th in San Diego was hijacked by my MIL. I have decided that we aren't going to waste money on taking a trip that will make me miserable. An early gift indeed